Test cases for current release
Show all tests
If you experience problems with BOINC that are not covered
by any of these tests, please email
- Examine all tabs of the BOINC Manager Advanced View;
check that all data is present and correct.
- Switch to the Simple View, check its data,
and make sure slide-show images are shown
for projects that provide them (WCG, Einstein, SETI).
- Make sure graphics work (for apps that support graphics).
- Make sure elapsed time and fraction done are increasing
for running tasks.
- Suspend and resume tasks, file transfers, and projects.
- Test activity modes 'Suspend', 'Run based on preferences',
and 'Run always'.
- Check that the 'Help' menu items bring up a web browser
and loads a Help page on the BOINC site.
- Windows only: Check that pressing 'F1' brings up
a web browser and loads a Help page on the BOINC site.
- Let BOINC run long enough to complete a task.
Check that output files are uploaded and the task is reported.
Clean install and uninstall
- Rename the BOINC data directory to a temporary directory name.
- Uninstall BOINC
- Windows XP: go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall BOINC
- Windows 7/8: go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall BOINC
- Mac: run the 'uninstall BOINC' utility included in the Extras folder with the installer.
- Install new BOINC.
- Verify that client and manager run,
and that the manager brings up the Attach Project wizard.
- Attach to a project,
and check that work is downloaded and started.
- There should be no long delays, errors,
confusing messages, or anything else that might bother a naive,
non-technical computer user.
If there is, report it as a bug.
- Exit BOINC, delete the BOINC data directory,
and rename the temporary directory back to BOINC.
- Test normal case (enter/leave screensaver mode).
- Open graphics windows from Manager before enter/leave
screensaver; make sure they reappear.
- Check that graphics change on CPU reschedule
(set scheduling period to 1 min).
- Test 'blank screen after X minutes'.
- Test power-saver modes, e.g. 'turn off monitor after N minutes'.
- Test password-after-resume options.
- Test screensaver properties 'Preview' function.
- (Windows only?) Test multi-user install -
switch to different user and run screensaver.
Copyright © 2018 U.C. Berkeley