Test cases for current release
Show all tests
If you experience problems with BOINC that are not covered
by any of these tests, please email
- Examine all tabs of the BOINC Manager Advanced View;
check that all data is present and correct.
- Switch to the Simple View, check its data,
and make sure slide-show images are shown
for projects that provide them (WCG, Einstein, SETI).
- Make sure graphics work (for apps that support graphics).
- Make sure elapsed time and fraction done are increasing
for running tasks.
- Suspend and resume tasks, file transfers, and projects.
- Test activity modes 'Suspend', 'Run based on preferences',
and 'Run always'.
- Check that the 'Help' menu items bring up a web browser
and loads a Help page on the BOINC site.
- Windows only: Check that pressing 'F1' brings up
a web browser and loads a Help page on the BOINC site.
- Let BOINC run long enough to complete a task.
Check that output files are uploaded and the task is reported.
Clean install and uninstall
- Rename the BOINC data directory to a temporary directory name.
- Uninstall BOINC
- Windows XP: go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall BOINC
- Windows 7/8: go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall BOINC
- Mac: run the 'uninstall BOINC' utility included in the Extras folder with the installer.
- Install new BOINC.
- Verify that client and manager run,
and that the manager brings up the Attach Project wizard.
- Attach to a project,
and check that work is downloaded and started.
- There should be no long delays, errors,
confusing messages, or anything else that might bother a naive,
non-technical computer user.
If there is, report it as a bug.
- Exit BOINC, delete the BOINC data directory,
and rename the temporary directory back to BOINC.
Auto-attach is a feature where you download the BOINC installer
directly from a project or account manager,
and when the client first runs it's attached to that project or AM.
You don't go through the BOINC web site to download the software,
and you don't see the Attach Wizard.
The feature involves server software.
Currently only SETI@home (project) and Science United (account manager)
have the needed server support.
To test this feature on SETI@home:
To test this feature on Science United:
- Uninstall BOINC or rename your data directory.
- In a browser, visit
- Create an account, and download BOINC
- Verify that BOINC starts up attached to Science United
If you are already using Science United,
go directly to https://scienceunited.org/download.php?dev=1
Copyright © 2018 U.C. Berkeley